Treatment For Vitiligo Discoloration
Treatment For Vitiligo Discoloration
What is Vitiligo Skin Disorder ?
There are some definitions to that:
- Vitiligo is a skin disease characterized by patches of unpigmented skin (often surrounded by a heavily pigmented border).
- Vitiligo is a skin disorder of unknown cause involving loss of pigmentation in patches of otherwise normal skin.
- White unpigmented spots on the skin, usually occurring after adulthood, and more common in blacks.
The skin desease called vitiligo is a skin disorder in which the Melanin production in the body fails to produce Melanin. It’s this Melanin that is in charge of the body colors (blue eyes, blond hair..).
When this Melanin is lost skin cells white patches start appearing on your skin. Vitiligo symptoms usually appear first as white patches in small areas of the skin, like on the face, lips, neck and hands. In some cases the Vitiligo keeps spreading over the body, in some people covering 70% of the body skin.
What causes Vitiligo ?
In the bottom line, medical sience do not know what the Vitiligo causes… there are numerous explanations and research on vitiligo symptoms. But no one knows the real cause for Vitiligo skin discoloration desease.
Some theories implicate: Its a Genetic disorder that runs in the family, other found some connection to immune system disorder, severe sun burns can trigger by an overdose of sun light to the melanin cells.. the Vitiligo causes affects both men and women from all races (though it is seen better on darker skin tones).
Autoimmune disorders means melanin cells are attacked and destroyed by the body’s own defense system they stop making melanin, resulting in the skin becoming lighter, or even completely white.
In connection to Vitiligo and laser exposure, take in mind that these non-pigmentation spots show up at places which have the greatest exposure to sun. So there is some connection that needs to be alert from.
Prevention of Vitiligo Discoloration
Unfortunately, there is no known way to prevent Vitiligo discoloration but if you notice the white patches and white blotches on skin show on small areas.. you may want to start the prevention treatments for Vitiligo discoloration. Preventing them to expand into large skin patches. If you have light to fair skin then the Vitiligo discoloration symptoms will not contrast your skin, but you still may wish to slow the expansion down.
- Sun – The most easy and simple prevention is to avoid the sun completely.
- Sun block creams – Since we can not avoid 100% of the sun UV rays, use sun screen lotions and high SPF sun block creams. Don’t forget to take the dietary supplements for vitamins D which naturally comes from the sun.
- Supplements and Vitamins- Studies have shown that people with vitiligo skin discoloration are often deficient in certain vitamins, like folic acid, B12, copper and zinc. These, along with others like CoQ10, vitamin E, sometimes vitamin C and a high-quality multi-vitamin are prescribed by some doctors to help stabilize the immune system. Do not take combination of supplements without your physician specific orders.
Non-surgical treatments for Vitiligo
- Cosmetics and make up – can help in lessening the appearance of the discolored pigments condition. Find medical cosmetic specialist to help you do the matching of the skin tone with a concealing cosmetic makeup foundation.
- Tattoos- can be done as a cosmetic treatment for discoloration, and only on small Vitiligo white patches. The Tattoo is used to cover the discolored patches (or their clear borders) with a permanent darker pigment color.
- Corticosteroids – A synthetic hormone, man-made medications that resemble cortisone. Taking topical steroids or creams to stimulate pigmentation can show melanin production and pigmentation improvement. Expect about three months before you see any changes to your white skin blotches. Even though the Corticosteroids is a topical cure is generally safe, get medical opinion since there are known possible side effects.
- Phototherapy or Light therapy- Phototherapy Vitiligo treatment consists of exposure specific wavelengths of light using lasers, light-emitting diodes, fluorescent lamps. This Phototherapy and Laser can help with UVB and UVA light therapy repigmentation of the skin by stimulating the natural body reaction and melanin cells to light at different wave length.
- Homeopathy- Many websites will claim a high ‘cure’ rate for Vitiligo hypopigmentation using homeopathy, but the scientific evidence has no substantiated these claims. If you have tried many treatments and they did not help, Homeopathy might be a reasenable Vitiligo treatment option.
- Depigmentation – Vitiligo Depigmentation is a treatment that is encouraged if your Vitiligo skin hypo-pigmentation consumes over 50% of your skin surface. With Depigmentation medical procedure is made via the usage of monobenzone on the skin which is still pigmented. This method of treatment for Vitiligo discoloration actually fades pigmented skin to match white spotted skin. Its a long treatment that can last even 18 month… In the end most of your skin will be light/white/pink color. The main risk is the sun burns and Melanoma (Skin Cancer) from the sun.
Surgical treatments for Vitiligo Discoloration.
Vitiligo Autologous skin grafts are a form of surgical Vitiligo treatment that uses grafts of your own healthy skin. Small patches of healthy skin are removed from one area and then grafted into an area that is affected by Vitiligo include grafts and transplants:
- Mini-punch grafting- takes small full-thickness grafts and places them in the depigmented discolored area, with topical PUVA used to stimulate pigmentation.
- Suction blister grafting – separates the epidermis from the dermis with a suction device that causes blisters. The epidermis is then placed on an abraded vitiligo area.
- Transplant therapies- a treatment for Vitiligo that include transplantation of pure melanocytes or melanocytes and keratinocytes together.
- Transplanting melanocytes and keratinocytes together - is a much easier technique that does not require the use of growth factors since the keratinocytes help produce more melanocytes. Both the melanocytes and keratinocytes are separated out from the donor skin
If you liked this article please: Digg it, Buzz it, Stumble it to others.
|Print article||This entry was posted by admin on September 1, 2010 at 10:48 am, and is filed under Vitiligo. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|
about 3 years ago - Comments Off
Long Term Side Effects Of Laser Hair Removal Today more than ever men and women remove their body hair with laser and IPL hair removal systems. Some go to laser hair removal centers others buy a hair removal system for home use. The main thing anyone who uses lasers or IPL has in mind is…
about 4 years ago - Comments Off
Laser Phototherapy For Vitiligo What is Vitiligo ? Vitiligo is a very unpleasant skin disorder in form of white spots that grow and expand to white patches and blotches. Vitiligo is not dangerous and not contagious in any way. It is a medical disorder disease cosmetic problem that affect the self esteem and personal confidence.…